Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

'Advanced' XT vs 'Standard' XT

Reaction score
Website
www.dragonseyefilming.co.uk
Looking at DJI site there's a new 'advanced' version of the XT.... That's gotta suck for those that just sold a kidney for what turns out to be the standard!
I'm interested to see what this one is and isn't capable of....

yesssssssss now ive told you the expected price on facebook are you still so keen lol (if it wasn't you I apologise)

I understand there will also be an upgrade path for those with the standard XT but you will have to sell your other kidney to pay for it !! :(

Reactions: simon@DEF
yeah sadly looks like the UK will have to pay through the nose AGAIN !!, its crap really !
Beyond that, they are truly taking the p... If it turns out that the price is the suspected thousands ontop of the XT price then I'm out for now, clients IMO won't believe the prices we'd have to charge to make money. Maybe in a few years someone other than FLIR will shake up the market properly.

yeah sadly looks like the UK will have to pay through the nose AGAIN !!, its crap really !
I am not sure of the price difference bit if it is a rediculous amount then it maybe worth ordering direct from the US.
I recently purchased something (I'm not saying what :)) from B&H and even after paying DHL costs, import duties up front and all associated fees etc I still saved a considerable sum over buying exactly the same item in the UK. Time from ordering to arriving at my door was three days which is fantastic.
This only really works now for US products but for certain items it is worth clicking 'add to basket'. ;)

Hi
We are using the Zenmuse XT and are keen also on radiometric output. Correct me if any of this is wrong but here is my understanding of the work being done by DJI and FLIR on this?

Zenmuse XT is a FLIR TAU2 Sensor, so goes by understanding that the same options and specifications will be available for the XT as the TAU2. For users buying the TAU2 sensor you had an optional OEM part number and additional charge to get "Advanced Radiometry" enabled from the factory and this being "Improved accuracy, moveable spot meter, image metric data, T-Linear (digital output)"

This is explained really well here; extract from: Tau 2 LWIR Camera Cores | FLIR Systems
"The Tau2 camera compensates for variations of the camera temperature and outputs 14-bit digital video that is stabilized and normalized. That means that a scene with a given temperature will always correspond to a certain digital value in the video independent of the camera’s temperature. We call this a “temperature stable video”. The Tau2 can have two types of 14-bit temperature stable video: flux-linear and T-linear. Flux-linear is the standard output on all Tau2 cameras but T-linear is an option only available on Tau2 cameras with Advanced Radiometry enabled (e.g.: 466400019H-FROEM).

The Advanced Radiometric Tau2 camera allows customers to derive temperature information per pixel from objects in the scene (using the T-Linear 14-bit video output). Additionally external scene parameters can be compensated (such as emissivity, window transmission, etc.) to more accurately determine temperature. The Advanced Radiometric cameras also provide an image metric feature where the user can query the camera for scene temperature data via serial command (such as maximum, minimum, and standard deviation for user defined regions).

If the Tau2 camera doesn’t have Advanced Radiometry then the user will get flux-linear video and the ability to display the center spot temperature meter information on the analog and BT.656 video (external scene parameters can be adjusted for this center spot meter). They will also be able to use the isotherm functions. If a customer would like to retrieve image metric functions, the T-linear output option, and the ability to tune external parameters across all pixels they will need Advanced Radiometry and an OEM number.

The 8-bit video and the analog video are optimized for best visual appearance using AGC (automatic gain control) and are not radiometric."

Ralph from FlyingUSA has been very helpful in his previous posts around the XT specifications, and I agree with his comments posted yesterday in the forum and look forward to seeing some update from DJI for their existing XT users (DJI XT Powered by Flir is here!!!) "That being said the existing units we have been told will be able to do basic radiometry functions very soon. The detailed haven't been released yet on how they will do this for existing XT users but I was told it would be sooner than later. I will keep you posted as I learn more from DJI"

Is there anyone out there that might have more TAU2 / FLIR knowledge in this space. I would be interested especially is understanding the radiometric data being saved per pizel (and compare to functionality of something like the FLIR A315 and A615)

Thanks in advance and welcome comment.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that it's a FLIR Vue and not a Tau - see 8:28ish on this interview.

Last edited:
The FLIR Vue Pro does not have isotherm capability (from my understanding). We have the Zenmuse XT and are using the isotherm functionality which gave us that assurance that it is actually a TAU2 sensor inside (and the price point of the Zenmuse XT seems to also indicate the TAU2 being used rather than the cheaper Vue / Vue Pro)..

The FLIR Vue Pro does not have isotherm capability (from my understanding). We have the Zenmuse XT and are using the isotherm functionality which gave us that assurance that it is actually a TAU2 sensor inside (and the price point of the Zenmuse XT seems to also indicate the TAU2 being used rather than the cheaper Vue / Vue Pro)..

The just announced VUE pro R does have radiometric information and is only 3500.00 so I can see the XT prices dropping soon soon soon.
FLIR VUE PRO R Series - 640x512 Pixels - 336x256 Pixels - 30Hz (7.5Hz Available) - 17μm Pixel Pitch - 3.25-4 oz (92.1 – 113.4 g) - 2.26" x 1.75" (including lens) - 4.0 - 6.0 VDC - LWIR

I just received word today that the XT units that have already been sold will be able to do basic radiometry very soon. Somewhere around 2 weeks is the current timeframe. I am hopeful it will be a simple firmware update to resolve this issue. Also the release of the Advanced Radiometric Units is an exciting one. We are taking orders now if anyone is interested. Feel free to give me a call at 270-473-1409 I am happy to help

I saw on another vendors site that FLIR announced the VUE pro R same time as XT R but would be nice to get VUE pro R for XT as a more reasonable cost option.

I just received word today that the XT units that have already been sold will be able to do basic radiometry very soon. Somewhere around 2 weeks is the current timeframe. I am hopeful it will be a simple firmware update to resolve this issue. Also the release of the Advanced Radiometric Units is an exciting one. We are taking orders now if anyone is interested. Feel free to give me a call at 270-473-1409 I am happy to help
Any update on this? I recently purchased an XT/ mine does not do basic radiometry..ie no radiometric images :(

EDIT : Found a menu with option to change image type on DJI Go app. Changed it from Jpeg to Radiometric Jpeg and it worked like a charm!!! So XT standard with latest firmware produces radiometric images that works with FLIR tools!!! :) :)

Last edited:
Any update on this? I recently purchased an XT/ mine does not do basic radiometry..ie no radiometric images :(

EDIT : Found a menu with option to change image type on DJI Go app. Changed it from Jpeg to Radiometric Jpeg and it worked like a charm!!! So XT standard with latest firmware produces radiometric images that works with FLIR tools!!! :) :)

Hi Raakesh, does your XT do radiometic video?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz