Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA 333 Exemptions - This is taking entirely too long!

Reaction score
Since my USA 333 Exemption Request thread got hijacked by a discussion about over-riding DJI NFZs, I thought I would open up the discussion to an update on how long it is taking currently to get through the 333 Exemption approval process. I posted my request on 8/13/2015 and have yet to see it posted on a permanent docket at Regulations. gov. Quoted below is my updated inquiry to the Help Desk:

"Dear Sirs:
It has now been over two months since I submitted my Section 333 Petition for Exemption (tracking # **-****-****) on 8/13/2015. Please provide an explanation as to why my petition has not yet been posted on Regulations.gov to a permanent docket.
I understand that there is a high volume of such petitions being submitted, but there was supposed to be an effort to speed consideration and approval for relatively routine use cases, which I believe mine to be. I find it unacceptable that it is taking this long to get my aerial photography and survey business off the ground (excuse the pun). If I do not get a reasonably prompt response, I will be contacting my Congressional Representative and Senator to bring this unacceptable delay to their attention. As the FAA NPRM for commercial UAS operations in the NAS is scheduled to be finalized by mid-2016, the window of time is closing fast on the possibility of gaining any advantage over business competitors that cannot, by virtue of their lack of required Airman certificates, be approved for the COA required to exercise their 333 exemption. I find this disappointing."

I'm trying to determine if mine is an outlying case, or if this is typical FAA foot-dragging. I shouldn't be too surprised by the glacial pace because I've dealt with the FAA as a professional pilot for my whole career, but this is truly mind-boggling bureaucratic incompetence.

I applied electronically on July 23, 2015 and mine has not been posted yet either. I check the site often and opened up some applications and am seeing July 13th, and 14th submittal dates. Your should be showing up soon.

We have just filed ours and the final draft is being reviewed by us. We used Traverse Legal who are doing a very professional job for us. I am concerned about the timeline, but we felt it would be better to have someone who is very versed in the aerial imaging process for business purposes. We looked at it ourselves and while it may be done by the average person it just seemed worth the money spent to just get it done right with no mistakes and delay the process longer. We have had a photo business for 8 years, I have been involved with NYS digital orthos for 22 years, RC'er for many years so we added the aerial operation to our business. We have done a lot of events for charity, Relay For Life being one, and enough aerial imaging that we thought it was time to apply.. Good luck..
Kevin

I applied electronically on July 23, 2015 and mine has not been posted yet either. I check the site often and opened up some applications and am seeing July 13th, and 14th submittal dates. Your should be showing up soon.

I inquired on Aug 13 and at the time they said they were working on July 1 submissions. So in almost a month they have moved up to July 13. Seems like they are getting further behind. At this rate, I don't expect mine to be approved until November/December. :(

Good luck with yours.

They are gearing up for 107 which will change a lot of exemption requests. I imagine this is one reason why the exemption processing has slowed slightly. There will be good news and bad for all with 107. Expect to see the licensing requirements change but also get ready for type certificate style certification of aircraft. If you think the licensing requirements are a pain wait until you try and certify an aircraft.

I do think that the Inspire 1 x5 not modified will be close to being airworthy before a lot of others. Other than if you add more cameras or gadgets that need to have safety straps I cant see the aircraft not being certified.

As mentioned before, it is going to slow down. Expect longer wait times as the FAA prepares to transition to the 107. No point in racing to get everyone 333's that will immediately need amendment when the 107 passes. I'm in the same boat, we added 6 new aircraft to our 333 and been waiting since June, it posted in July and still in a holding pattern.

They are gearing up for 107 which will change a lot of exemption requests. I imagine this is one reason why the exemption processing has slowed slightly. There will be good news and bad for all with 107. Expect to see the licensing requirements change but also get ready for type certificate style certification of aircraft. If you think the licensing requirements are a pain wait until you try and certify an aircraft.
We certified 3 with no problems. waiting on our N numbers now.

Ours was filed August 3rd. I noticed yesterday we finally got a docket assigned. What's been the average wait after you get a docket?

N Number is easy if you submit the following correctly.

Attachments

• Form Example.pdf
    120.3 KB · Views: 76

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham