Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5S filter recommendation

Reaction score
I'm concerned about the image quality from my new X5S camera. Before, I owned the X4S.

So far, I don't see much of a difference between the two using H.264 4096×2160 59.94p, exposure set to auto.

The Amazon seller left the balancing ring and lens hood out of the box, so I'm returning it for a replacement.

I live in Houston, TX. During mid-afternoon, the image quality is actually worse than the X4S. It appears you have to use a filter to get a decent picture. I never had this issue with the X4S.

Can anyone recommend a filter for a bright sunny day?

I use an ND.60. I recommend this 2-stop filter as the least you'll need depending on how much depth of field you're looking for. ND6 should allow you to shoot at f11/16 with zero clipping in sun-lit clouds. If you're looking for less DOF then go with something heavier. The main concern with buying a filter is the quality. I bought a cheaper one once and I could not achieve critical focus. There are many excellent brands.

Not so sure I'd buy a grad filter as the ND part of the filter is only on the top. This makes it interesting for any tilting you would do. I guess I'm relating it to how I shoot so if it works for you then done! Here's my suggestion as far as brand quality goes but there are several other brands that also stand out.: B+W46mm SC 102 ND 0.6 Filter (2-Stop)

I'm concerned about the image quality from my new X5S camera. Before, I owned the X4S.

So far, I don't see much of a difference between the two using H.264 4096×2160 59.94p, exposure set to auto.

The Amazon seller left the balancing ring and lens hood out of the box, so I'm returning it for a replacement.

I live in Houston, TX. During mid-afternoon, the image quality is actually worse than the X4S. It appears you have to use a filter to get a decent picture. I never had this issue with the X4S.

Can anyone recommend a filter for a bright sunny day?

Here in Texas, the sun is so bright i find myself at ND32 on sunny days (ND64 on sunny glaring lake) and between ND16 and ND8 on cloudy days depending on cloud thickness. Im just outside of Dallas, everything gets overexposed easily in the TX sun. Im using the Polarpro cinema without polarizers.

Also, if you arent translating your videos down for slow-motion, consider shooting in 30fps or 24fps for resolution. When writing to the SD card or shooting h.264 in general, we are limited to 100mbps so 60fps in 4K is actually writing half the data to each frame that it could be at 4K30fps or less.

Is there a reason you can't have your shutter speed in the lower thousands?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens