Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X4S Mechanical shutter Q

Reaction score
As the title says, anyone know if the mechanical shutter is only for photo's or is it for both photos and video? The elimination of rolling shutter and Jello is very appealing.

John.

I have been puzzled by the talk about a mechanical shutter. I don't see how a mechanical shutter would have any effect on the rolling-shutter effect. That effect is caused by the line-by-line processing of the image, and I don't understand how a mechanical shutter would change that. The only thing that cures rolling shutter is a global shutter, in which all lines of the image are captured and processed at once. And global-shutter cameras are very rare and very expensive.

And while I haven't read anything definitive, I think it's safe to assume that it would be for photos only. It doesn't make sense to send a mechanical shutter across the sensor 30 or 60 times per second. That's not what DSLRs like Canon and Nikon do in video mode; they switch to live view/electronic shutter mode for video.

Reactions: ianwood
Photo only of course, to reduce skew on moving subjects... which is rarely an issue in the first place.

Photo only of course, to reduce skew on moving subjects... which is rarely an issue in the first place.

Yeah it just seems that they've fixed a problem that we didn't really have, how many people really have bad rolling shutter when taking stills.

John.

Yeah it just seems that they've fixed a problem that we didn't really have, how many people really have bad rolling shutter when taking stills.

John.
It comes up in mapping applications where our drones are traveling near 20 mph while taking photos. It's still unclear to me whether or not the X4s with mechanical shutter = global shutter and elimination of rolling shutter effect.

Reactions: Advexure
It comes up in mapping applications where our drones are traveling near 20 mph while taking photos. It's still unclear to me whether or not the X4s with mechanical shutter = global shutter and elimination of rolling shutter effect.

We've had this discussion both in-house, with commercial clients, as well as with Pix4D and from what we are aware, still images on the X4S use a mechanical (or global) shutter while video is using a rolling shutter. Pix4D also has a linear rolling shutter correction built-in that was for the Phantom 4 but it should not need to be used with the X4S. If for some reason you were using frames from video on the X4S you may run into rolling shutter issues that may require the correction with Pix4D.

Hope this information helps, don't hesitate to reach out with any further questions. Safe flying. :cool:

We've had this discussion both in-house, with commercial clients, as well as with Pix4D and from what we are aware, still images on the X4S use a mechanical (or global) shutter while video is using a rolling shutter. Pix4D also has a linear rolling shutter correction built-in that was for the Phantom 4 but it should not need to be used with the X4S. If for some reason you were using frames from video on the X4S you may run into rolling shutter issues that may require the correction with Pix4D.

Hope this information helps, don't hesitate to reach out with any further questions. Safe flying. :cool:

I've still never found an answer I'm confident in on the X4s. Everything I read says that a CMOS sensor is records an image with a rolling line by line exposure and that CCD sensors can record exposures globally. Now comes the X4S which has a mechanical shutter over a CMOS sensor. It seems like if the CMOS sensor was recording images in a global fashion that DJI would be making a big deal out of their new global shutter CMOS sensor.

I remain confused.

PS - I'm looking for a price on a 210 and some advice on what to buy for our mapping applications so feel free to contact me.

I've still never found an answer I'm confident in on the X4s. Everything I read says that a CMOS sensor is records an image with a rolling line by line exposure and that CCD sensors can record exposures globally. Now comes the X4S which has a mechanical shutter over a CMOS sensor. It seems like if the CMOS sensor was recording images in a global fashion that DJI would be making a big deal out of their new global shutter CMOS sensor.

I remain confused.

Just sent you a message with some additional information. Talk soon.

Just sent you a message with some additional information. Talk soon.
This is pretty simple. The machanical shutter exposes the entire sensor at once and the recorded information is than read and stored to card. No rolling shutter effect. When you are shooting fast moving subjects like a propeller on aeroplane or helicopter it will look straight nicely blured or sharp depending on your shutter speed. If you were to shoot that with electronic shutter the propeller will look bent like a banana.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz