Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

SSD Thunderbolt reader and X5R to ProRes

Reaction score
Brand new here and to the Inspire 1...
Firstly I just wanted to show my way to speed up the reading from the SSD via a Thunderbolt/SATA/microSATA instead of the provided USB 3 reader. I have only Thunderbolt 1, but i'm sure there are adaptors for types 2 & 3.
I haven't tested it in a real workflow situation yet so I'm not sure how fast Cinelight can swallow RAW files... The micro SATA adapter which is the key to this costs around €5.

...and a question. What are the possibilities of a firmware update giving the X5R the ability to record or output ProRes?

2018-11-22 13.39.07.jpg
2018-11-22 13.39.26.jpg

...and a question. What are the possibilities of a firmware update giving the X5R the ability to record or output ProRes?

Nil. Neither the Inspire 1 nor the X5R has enough computing power to handle this.

The Inspire 2 has this computing power on the craft; the X5S and X7 cameras are relatively low-powered, and just send the video signal to the craft for processing and storage.

And anyway, DJI has abandoned the X5R; its last firmware update was in July of 2017. I was beyond pissed when they did this. They sold the I1 as an expandable platform, and I bought in. Then they abandoned it.

PS You have attached your X5R SSD to your computer; have you successfully read footage from it? DJI designed it so that this was impossible.

Reactions: Mixchief
"...PS You have attached your X5R SSD to your computer; have you successfully read footage from it? DJI designed it so that this was impossible." /QUOTE said:
No, only through CineLight, this works exactly the same as the standard reader, just faster. Well a bit faster, SATA is 6Gb/s and USB3 5Gb/s...
I see there is a Thunderbolt 3 reader for the I2 CineSSD on the DJI store. That doesn't look like SATA so it can probably utilise the speed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham