Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Smart oblique

Reaction score
From everything I read, I see that the smart oblique function is supposed to shorten the flight time. When I create a mission in the pilot 2 app it shows my flight time to be approximately five times longer than a normal mission

They mean if you do the multiple flights it would take to obtain nadir and oblique images.

In other words, if you were to fly a 3D mapping mission over a square. Ideally, you would fly the aircraft on at least five flights or in five segments in one mission. One is facing north with the camera at an angle, just south of your area of interest. One is facing south, just north of your area of interest. One is facing west, just east of your area of interest. One faces east, just west of your area of interest. And lastly, one NADIR directly over your area of interest. For a total of five different data sets in one area. Capturing all angles ~20 degrees N-E-S-W and NADIR.

But, when you use the smart oblique function, the camera will move to reduce the flight time overall, using camera angles and only conducting one or two flights. With the M300 (P1), it will make one pass and capture all five angles. It does fly a larger area. And in areas where it doesn't need images, it won't take them. This means on the far east side, it will only take images facing west of the target area. Once it is near the target area, it will take images facing east and nadir. Then, as it travels south, it will take images facing north. Once it is directly over the target area, it will take images in as many as five directions in one pass. Thus reducing your flight to one large flight instead of one smaller flight. This is particularly useful for large areas. If you are flying the Mavic 3 (E) it will take as many as three images in one pass to take images from two opposing angles and reduce five flights to only two.

Michael W. den Hartog
UAS-SME/Customer Success-Florida Drone Supply

For more assistance, feel free to email or call Florida Drone Supply at 855-8-DRONE or [email protected]

Reactions: Wanderlost
Every shot taken with “Smart Oblique” had the darn landing skid in view…

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz