Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK Question for Inspire pilots in UK with Pfco

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm hoping you can help me. I'm currently flying a Mavic Pro, but have come up with an idea that involves attaching a 360 camera to the drone. Now obviously the Mavic can't take any external parts being added to it, and after speaking to some other pilots, we reckon the best would be for me to get an Inspire, a 3d printed mount to attach underneath the Inspire to hang the 360 camera.
My Insurance are happy... if the CAA are happy.
Before I go and speak to them, I was wondering if anyone else has done this / had any issues with the CAA approving an Inspire with attached payload, from an after sales mount, cleared for commercial flying?
I've seen a good few 360 videos, so hoping that this can be done, with relative ease.

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated.
cheers

Some things to consider:

As the pilot, you are responsible for ensuring flight safety.

The total weight of the aircraft with any any attachments must not exceed the manufacturers maximum take off mass, MTOM. This might be your biggest problem ...

Attachments must be secured to ensure that they do not become lose or detached during flight.

Consider the adverse effects of any attachment such as changing the aircraft COG or interfering with the props, radio or GPS reception, compass, IMU, etc.

Hi all

I'm hoping you can help me. I'm currently flying a Mavic Pro, but have come up with an idea that involves attaching a 360 camera to the drone. Now obviously the Mavic can't take any external parts being added to it, and after speaking to some other pilots, we reckon the best would be for me to get an Inspire, a 3d printed mount to attach underneath the Inspire to hang the 360 camera.
Before I go and speak to them, I was wondering if anyone else has done this / had any issues with the CAA approving an Inspire with attached payload, from an after sales mount, cleared for commercial flying?
I've seen a good few 360 videos, so hoping that this can be done, with relative ease.

cheers
Moved to correct section

Hi all

cheers
Firstly, as long as your Ops Manual MTOM is not exceeded you do not have to speak or notify the CAA. The Inspire is a UAV with interchangable payloads so it would be expected that there will be different attachments.
As mentioned above, it is up to you as the PIC to ensure the flight can be made safely and to mitigate any risk.
So long as you do your pre flight checks, risk assessment and survey there is no need to inform anybody!
It would be a different story if you wanted to drop things from your aircraft which would be a breach of standard permissions under the ANO, but since all you are doing is basically attaching a different camera/payload you are free (within the confines mentioned above and within your ops manual) to attach what you like.

Reactions: giumick
Thanks for the info all. I've checked the MTOM and the total mass falls within this, so if my OM / checks are all done carefully as they should be, it looks like i'll be fine.
Right, off to look for an Inspire 1 v.2 (and fill my day watching youtube clips and reading articles!)

Thanks again, much appreciated

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz