Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Olympus 45mm with X5s issue

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Olympus 45mm lens for my Inspire 2 x5s.

I have the new correct balancing rings fitted to the lens.

When first attaching the lens the DJI go app asks me to calibrate the lens, i've done this plenty of times before with previous lenses.

When tapping on the object 50m away to calibrate it says it's in focus but it really isn't, even when I managed to tap somewhere and it focus properly i click finish calibration and then when I then try to AF somewhere else it is super out of focus.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Reactions: SanCap

When first attaching the lens the DJI go app asks me to calibrate the lens, i've done this plenty of times before with previous lenses.

When tapping on the object 50m away to calibrate it says it's in focus but it really isn't, even when I managed to tap somewhere and it focus properly i click finish calibration and then when I then try to AF somewhere else it is super out of focus.

No, my 45mm focus just fine. Sorry I could not help.

Have you had any success? I ask because we to purchased one and are unable to achieve focus.
Thanks

Maybe see if a local camera shop will let you attach your lens to a camera body to see if it’s a lens issue or something related to the I2 systems or software; rule out a defective lens.

I am also experiencing this, has anyone found a fix or a proper way to calibrate the lens? When I first put the lens on, it was very sharp using the auto focus. It would not let me manually focus unless I did a calibration. I have tried to calibrate it multiple times with the same result.

I found that using my handwheel (Ver. 1 without the pins in the wheel section.) I can focus better and sharper with the 45mm verses the X5S AF. Could be it needs a firmware done to it to work better with the AF in the X5S as I bought it used off KEH.com and looks like it is new.

Okay, I called Olympus America Service. The firmware in that lens currently is Ver. 1.2 and was put out November 2015. The tech said it should be seen on any Olympus camera (Take to dealer and ask to put on one to check version.). If it needs to be updated and you do not own a Olympus body to do it, then they charge $39 to update it.

Added:
Found this info on the Olympus website on the three most popular lenses on the X5S:

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm F1.8
Ver.1.2
(2015/11/26) Stability of lens aperture when shooting videos has been improved.
Ver.1.1
(2013/9/19) The unstable operations, when photographing very bright subjects while using the DMC-GF6, DMC-G6, or DMC-GH3 cameras from Panasonic, have been corrected.

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm F1.8
Ver.1.1
(2015/11/26) Stability of lens aperture when shooting videos has been improved.

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm F2.0
Ver.1.1
(2015/11/26) Supports MF clutch (Snapshot Focus) disabled settings in camera settings.
Stability of lens aperture when shooting videos has been improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: deltalimatango
I reset the aircraft last weekend. I performed another calibration on the 45mm lens with a result of a crystal clear focus.
Im not sure what I did differently this time around. Possibly I was performing poor calibration in the past.
I set the Inspire on a table and did the cal before the flight.

Well, my 45mm "version update" for $39 per their tech just got jacked up to a what they call a Normal Repair of $140 to install the newest version of firmware in the lens which is a two-minute job if you own a body to do it on. Ridiculous, but Olympus is using some third-party outfit that also does Sony warranty work and their reviews stink overall. Precision Camera - Enfield, CT

Noticed they also recharged my VISA to the full $140 from the original quote too without my authorization. I don't want to own another Olympus lens much less their camera or even a Sony if they cannot fix their products and need a third party rip-off outfit with one-star reviews and take months to do it too. I should have read some of reviews first, but you think it is Olympus from the website as well as the lower prices of repair, but then when you get their RMA, the ship-to address is the Yelp! place they use. Guess the Yelper! joint uses the Olympus web and logos to get them out of the picture. Shoddy!

What.......
FYI: I paid $199 for my lens brand new. Purchased on amazon, delivered within 2 days.
Read my previous post. Recalibrate on ground.
Firmware update is not necessary.

I see some 45mm Olympus lenses on Amazon for $250 with no warranty (Not that it matters with Olympus USA service!). I paid around $225 off keh.com and it was rated at E- so pretty much like new without the boxes. However, version was old and the Olympus tech said version 1.2 was current and somehow fixed some video and aperture exposure (?) problem that my 1.0 version had and it would be $39, and not the $140 which it is now. So $225 + $140 makes it a $365 lens which is still a bit better than the Amazon new price of $399 with warranty (Again, not that a warranty matters much with their crack service outfit.).

It was working well prior to being sent in, other than some issue that might be hiding as it was an old version. Didn't see any, but haven't shot with it yet in the air. Odd Olympus updated all their primes about the same time too so something must have triggered it.

Guess I'll wait and see what becomes of it whenever it shows up again in maybe a few months after reading their Yelp! reviews. Ugh! Might have been better to buy a cheap Olympus body if one stays with the Olympus lens lineup to do the firmware versions with. With three needing an update with what they charge to do it, you'd have a body to do it with.

My wide will be the Laowa 7.5mm when it shows. Not interested in the Oly. 12mm anymore even if it has power focus and aperture.

How did you check your firmware version?

Took the lens into Best Buy and put it on a display Panasonic G7 (Micro 4/3) body. In the menu's wrench > firmware it will tell you the body version number and the lens version number under it.

Weird part was the manager said I couldn't do it as all their DSLR bodies had the lenses glued down to prevent theft,but the Panasonic had the lens already stolen and it sat there turned on with the sensor showing so I could do it. Had I known better, I could have loaded the Olympus lens version BIN update file onto a SD card off their website and done it in store (maybe) in a couple of seconds. Panasonic and Olympus seem to be able to share version updates on the lenses somehow off their websites downloads. Too bad DJI doesn't do the same thing for their camera and lenses. They may do it silently in the firmware updates, but who knows?

Live and learn.

As to the X5S focus, it took mine several attempts with a high-contrast subject before I ended up with a decent focus calibration with the stock 15mm and the 45mm. I also have the focusing hand-wheel and can tweak it manually too if I think it's off. I have a Nikon DSLR too and I've learned the first AF focus isn't always the best one. Subsequent ones seem sharper. I think the first one hunts a bit over a wider range, while the following ones are closer and not as much of a AF lens hunt. I've used FoCal software with it too and their testing seems to validate that "Second AF will be better" method.

Reactions: cvanhoose
So I got four estimates for the version update for the 45mm lens and had to call them to sort it out. They stuck with the last and highest one of $140.33 for what they call a "Normal Repair" even though I have a feeling it is going to be a 2 minute BIN flash to version 1.2 as the lens worked fine prior. Estimated time of the entire process will be 4-5 weeks including shipping - or so I hope.

Fwiw, you do not want to ship them a lens with sand in it as it will fall $44 short of buying a brand new lens at the retail price (Sand damaged 45mm is $355.00. Retail new is $399.00). So watch those landings folks!

Reactions: PatrickP
So I got four estimates for the version update for the 45mm lens and had to call them to sort it out. They stuck with the last and highest one of $140.33 for what they call a "Normal Repair" even though I have a feeling it is going to be a 2 minute BIN flash to version 1.2 as the lens worked fine prior. Estimated time of the entire process will be 4-5 weeks including shipping - or so I hope.

Fwiw, you do not want to ship them a lens with sand in it as it will fall $44 short of buying a brand new lens at the retail price (Sand damaged 45mm is $355.00. Retail new is $399.00). So watch those landings folks!

Thanks for the detail! @Florida Drone Supply @Advexure - do you guys have any detail on how to update lenses with the X5S?

Thanks for the detail! @Florida Drone Supply @Advexure - do you guys have any detail on how to update lenses with the X5S?

I don't think you can update the lenses with the X5S as there is no menu for the camera version or lens version as with a normal four-thirds or DSLR camera body. Too bad DJI doesn't have that ability. DJI might be able to update their camera and maybe their lens, but it would be unseen to us if they did it as no screen is available to see it done (GO 5 maybe?).

I was curious as to the Panasonic-to-Olympus 45mm BIN file upgrade that updates the Oly. 45mm to version 1.2 but I didn't try it as it might need a menu to continue the flash to the lens off the SD card. Not having a visible menu to check and/or select the camera and lens version I didn't want to risk it. Sort of annoying Oly. Service charges $140 to upgrade the version for a 2 minute job - and they still haven't shipped it yet either, but the Yelp! reviews said it could take weeks or months too. Don't know if it requires parts either as they list it as a "Normal repair- Non-functioning" (It was functioning though.) but I doubt it needs parts.

If you own several Oly. or Panasonic lenses, it might pay to buy a cheap 4/3 body and DIY than pay $140 per lens.

Reactions: joeeagle

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz