Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Olympus 12mm worth getting?

Reaction score
My I2 is on its way and it's coming with the DJI 15mm lens. I'm a little concerned that this lens might be a little long for my use shooting construction and commercial real estate, and was looking at the Olympus 12mm. I'd prefer it over the 9-18mm zoom for a few reasons, not the least of which is that I can use the big aperture on the 12mm with my handheld camera - so it would serve two purposes for me.

Do you have good experience with the lens? Good quality shots, easy to use, etc.

Are you flying with or without the lens hood?

Do you find the 15mm lens to be constricting for shooting large buildings or construction site?

We have excellent results using the Olympus 12mm lens. It is one of our go to lenses that we use with DJI products as well as our ground based cameras. We usually use it without a lens hood and mostly use it with an ND filter for video. The lens performs equally well for still photos.

Reactions: Koptervision
The oly12 is a step up from the DJI15mm. Sharper and a tiny bit wider. No hood. It balances fine with a UV or ND filter. Nothing else needed.
I use one and find it to be excellent.
zzzz3e.jpg

Are you kidding me? This is THE most used lens of all for anyone that gives a **** about the output! If you plunked down the entry fee for an I2, you **** well better have the wherewithal to by this lens

LOL it wasn't a question of having the wherewithal to buy it, I just wanted people's feedback on how much they liked it.

Sounds like this is an excellent lens based on what everyone is saying.

wsa:
Using the 12mm Oly with good results for mostly landscape stills. Have used the lens hood that requires some balancing (500 colones coin and US quarter) on rear of cam. So far with limited testing can't say the lens hood really accomplishes anything. Using polarizing filter for water shots.

websiteauthor: the attached image in my post was shot with the oly12mm wide open at f2, 1600 ISO, 1/30 SS natural light, auto focus on a GH3.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! You guys have convinced me - I bought a used lens and look forward to trying it out. The one I'm getting doesn't have a lens hood, which is why I asked about that. Doesn't sound like I need it though.

Thanks for the sample picture, madgadget - I'm looking forward to trying it out on my G85 as well as the I2!

Reactions: Advexure
Thanks for everyone's feedback! You guys have convinced me - I bought a used lens and look forward to trying it out. The one I'm getting doesn't have a lens hood, which is why I asked about that. Doesn't sound like I need it though.

Thanks for the sample picture, madgadget - I'm looking forward to trying it out on my G85 as well as the I2!

Used lens should have the version checked. I think the Olympus 12mm is version 1.1 when read in a Panasonic or Olympus camera. It had something to do with the aperture for video when I spoke to their tech. If you own one of those brand bodies, you can do it yourself. If not, it might cost you $150 for them to do it.

My 45mm was $140 for the version 1.2 update from Olympus Service (Which is a third-party repair facility I later learned.) as it was used (Keh.com) with version 1.0. I should have rented a body to do it cheaper, or loaded the BIN update file onto a SD card and tried to do it at a local store who sells them. Keh.com may have been able to do it prior to buying it from them too but I don't know. The $140 version update repair plus their used price, and I could have bought a new one. Ugh!

Used lens should have the version checked. I think the Olympus 12mm is version 1.1 when read in a Panasonic or Olympus camera. It had something to do with the aperture for video when I spoke to their tech. If you own one of those brand bodies, you can do it yourself. If not, it might cost you $150 for them to do it.

My 45mm was $140 for the version 1.2 update from Olympus Service (Which is a third-party repair facility I later learned.) as it was used (Keh.com) with version 1.0. I should have rented a body to do it cheaper, or loaded the BIN update file onto a SD card and tried to do it at a local store who sells them. Keh.com may have been able to do it prior to buying it from them too but I don't know. The $140 version update repair plus their used price, and I could have bought a new one. Ugh!

That's a great tip. I'll check it when it arrives.

I own a Panasonic G7 and G85 - should I be able to do the update with one of these?

Olympus 12mm and 45mm are your best combo! Effectively a 24mm and 90mm with the cropped sensor. The 90mm makes you Michael Bay. But you really need a second controller and camera op. The 45mm is very hard to control without practice. But the results are stunning. Always run both with variable ND filter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtpelt