Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK London City Airport - No communication from them.

Reaction score
Has anyone had dealings with Aerodrome Safeguarding at London City Airport?

I have 3 shoots in the Ilford area, that fall within the 10km safeguarding zone of the airport. sub 7kg UAV.

I emailed them 3 days ago to notify them and ask what the protocol was. No reply, not even a read receipt. I have called them as well over the last few days, but just get an answerphone, on which I have left messages asking them to call me. No response.

[GALLERY=media, 910]Untitled-1 Copy by Whitestone posted Aug 18, 2017 at 9:17 AM[/GALLERY]

I've always found Air Traffic Control at London City Airport extremely responsive and polite. I've been operating in the Barking and Dagenham area for the last year, about 2 miles from the actual runway, and every time we fly I phone them up, let them know our location and the purpose of the work and that we are operating a sub 7kg craft at a maximum altitude of 400 feet.

Their reply is to remind me that I'm responsible for operating in a safe manner under the terms of my CAA licence. It's a curtesy call really.

I've also had similar responses from Stanstead and Manchester Airports and more recently with RAF Leeming.

Give ATC a ring when you are flying and good luck with your project.

Reactions: Whitestone
I've always found Air Traffic Control at London City Airport extremely responsive and polite. I've been operating in the Barking and Dagenham area for the last year, about 2 miles from the actual runway, and every time we fly I phone them up, let them know our location and the purpose of the work and that we are operating a sub 7kg craft at a maximum altitude of 400 feet.

Their reply is to remind me that I'm responsible for operating in a safe manner under the terms of my CAA licence. It's a curtesy call really.

I've also had similar responses from Stanstead and Manchester Airports and more recently with RAF Leeming.

Thank you so much for the encouraging reply. I'll call the ATC rather than the safeguarding department.

Best regards.

Michael.

OK to The Editor, thanks for the clarification and the link.

I would always let relevant bodies know what I'm up to if necessary. I'm working on a very large brownfield site so apart from the owners of the land, my client and London City Airport I haven't felt the need to talk to anybody else.

Thanks again

Thanks Cyclops,

Thanks for all the replies.

I called the ATC as suggested by "Cyclops" rather than safeguarding, and got straight through to a very helpful guy who said, no worries, just let them know on the day.

The three sites are just outside the ATZ, but within Class D.

Thanks for all the replies.

I called the ATC as suggested by "Cyclops" rather than safeguarding, and got straight through to a very helpful guy who said, no worries, just let them know on the day.

The three sites are just outside the ATZ, but within Class D.
It's also good practice and appreciated that you give them a quick call when you are SOD and all finished for the day.

Well, I did the jobs with no hassle. London ATC were great, and so were the Met police.

A few weeks later Aerodrome Safeguarding at London City Airport (who I emailed), got back to me apologising for the delay due to staff reallocations.

Reactions: The Editor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens