Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

How Do You Focus?

Reaction score
Just wondering what most of you use on focus...auto or manual, and do you select the assistant features in the app? Of course this will vary on the subject and pics vs. vids, but just wanted to get some feedback on this.

Just wondering what most of you use on focus...auto or manual, and do you select the assistant features in the app? Of course this will vary on the subject and pics vs. vids, but just wanted to get some feedback on this.

Yepp, definitely varies but more often that not, auto. Not sure what type of work you're doing and if you're a single or dual operator setup but the Focus Handwheel provides great focus control but really can only be used effectively in a dual operator setup, or even a three operator with pilot, cam op and focus puller/2nd, 3rd AC.

Auto is most often the way to go. Happy shootin, and safe flyin! :cool:

Yepp, definitely varies but more often that not, auto. Not sure what type of work you're doing and if you're a single or dual operator setup but the Focus Handwheel provides great focus control but really can only be used effectively in a dual operator setup, or even a three operator with pilot, cam op and focus puller/2nd, 3rd AC.

Thanks for the response. I'm primarily doing single operator, and I too have been using auto. I've recently started playing around with manual focus to see if there is an advantage. Good to hear the Focus Handwheel is worth getting. A buddy of mine in town also suggested it for "Big" jobs with dual operators.

Reactions: Advexure

I was looking to PM you about a product but I'm new to posting in the forum and unclear where to submit. Is that the same as start a conversation? Thanks

Focus hand wheel is a great addition over trying to do it on the screen. It is a heavily built piece with a steel arm so the RC will be a bit awkward to hold and off balance a bit, but not bad for a 25 minute flight. Just be careful if you use a marker on the white piece to mark footage as some erasables won't come off easily if at all.

There are two types of hand wheels for the I2. One (early model) uses a separate cord to the wheel, and the Type 2 (newer) has the pins in the arm that connect to the wheel along with the cord built in. The older one allows you to rotate the entire assembly to position the index and blue LED to where you want, while Type 2 is preset. Personal choice.

At the distance we fly from objects, locking focus at infinity may be good enough. On the 45mm lens, the focus wheel with work down to about 18" but who flies that close unless you are using the I2 as an OSMO.

Reactions: mpaerial
Focus hand wheel is a great addition over trying to do it on the screen. It is a heavily built piece with a steel arm so the RC will be a bit awkward to hold and off balance a bit, but not bad for a 25 minute flight. Just be careful if you use a marker on the white piece to mark footage as some erasables won't come off easily if at all.

There are two types of hand wheels for the I2. One (early model) uses a separate cord to the wheel, and the Type 2 (newer) has the pins in the arm that connect to the wheel along with the cord built in. The older one allows you to rotate the entire assembly to position the index and blue LED to where you want, while Type 2 is preset. Personal choice.

At the distance we fly from objects, locking focus at infinity may be good enough. On the 45mm lens, the focus wheel with work down to about 18" but who flies that close unless you are using the I2 as an OSMO.

Very cool thanks for the info. I found a you tube video that showed its function as well. Definitely something to consider.

I like the HW2 and very nice that it has focus and zoom control now over the original one. For single op auto is the way to go

I find I don't trust the 9.7" iPad to focus manually and accurately. Even my goggles can lie to me a little. For the X5, I trust auto focus.

Can someone explain what the different Auto-Focus icons mean? There seems to be one that is a green box and another that is a yellow circle and I cannot seem to find any explanation as to which is what. Thank you.

Can someone explain what the different Auto-Focus icons mean? There seems to be one that is a green box and another that is a yellow circle and I cannot seem to find any explanation as to which is what. Thank you.

The green box is for auto focus, when that is highlighted tap on the screen where you want the focus to be. The yellow circle is for exposure, if you want a certain area on the screen to be exposed properly tap in a spot and it will expose for that area.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens