Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Flying with the X5S in low light

Reaction score
Website
vimeo.com
How many here, if any, are flying the X5S at night and how do you see the low light performance? M4/3 is notorious for not having the best low light performance. I am curious to how many are actually flying at night and shooting/videoing to get quality. For the most part the IQ has been okay but can require quite a bit of work sometimes. Anyone?

I did a low light test recently. ProRes was pretty noisy but CinemaDNG looked great so from my experience low light = shooting in RAW.

I did a low light test recently. ProRes was pretty noisy but CinemaDNG looked great so from my experience low light = shooting in RAW.

Thanks. I'm not using those licenses so it doesn't apply to me. I shot this last night and am pretty pleased.
14c2756b617e09b46bda2b551454a4b8.jpg
8f063029e453013024dca2c2cd4f9180.jpg

I was contracted to video wedding aerials at 2 locations for this particular wedding. Although I have Inspire 2 X5S clips through out the video there are a couple of low light clips from the outside looking into the glass paneled reception area towards the video ending. I think the editor created a nice mix.

SanCap, excellent video dude. I used to help out shooting weddings. I hate it. I was helping a friend shoot, and I was just doing the documentary stuff. Came time for the kiss and my friend MISSED IT. She missed the kiss. Luckily I was standing back with a 70-200mm, and caught it. Turned out nicely for my friend and the couple. Because I was at 200mm, and f2.8, there was a nice bokeh effect but this experience turned me off to weddings. My hats off to wedding shooters. Truly the unsung hero's of the photography world.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanCap
SanCap, excellent video dude. I used to help out shooting weddings. I hate it. I was helping a friend shoot, and I was just doing the documentary stuff. Came time for the kiss and my friend MISSED IT. She missed the kiss. Luckily I was standing back with a 70-200mm, and caught it. Turned out nicely for my friend and the couple. Because I was at 200mm, and f2.8, there was a nice bokeh effect but this experience turned me off to weddings. My hats off to wedding shooters. Truly the unsung hero's of the photography world.

Thanks, fortunately I was just the "Drone Guy" and not tasked with missing the kiss!! It was actually fun, I kept far away enough to not create a distraction to the wedding party. We had a signal system set up in case I was bothering them. No editing on my part was very welcome.

Could I get some opinions on which camera settings would be the best for shooting video of the city at night? Utilizing the Inspire 2 with Zenmuse X5s camera.
not using ProRes.

I would be interested in some suggestions on how I could improve this low light video, which was one of my first attempts. Incidentally, I filmed a couple of days before the California Wildfire, so I wasn't able to go back to try to improve on the shots that I did not care for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz