Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Different ways for Public Safety

Reaction score
[GALLERY=media, 1033]20180127_114752 by Racer38 posted Jan 27, 2018 at 1:54 PM[/GALLERY]So after lots of research and reading this is my take on the different ways to fly for Public Safety.

Part 107 Pilots
These are pilots that have a part 107 rating with the FAA. This is for an individual. This is probably the most versatile way. The pilot who is part 107 is basically flying for their department as an individual and being paid to do so. They follow all department rules and training requirements as well as all FAA rules. They can also fly for others and make some money on the side. Additional waivers can be applied for in regards to night flying and outside vlos.

Public COA Pilots
They are authorized to fly for their department and only for their department unless they also have a part 107 rating. Training is set up by the department and is usually the same level as what part 107 pilots are trained to. The actual department is a recognized entity with the FAA via approval of a Public Declaration letter. A blanket COA can be approved which covers airspace, night flying and other things. My departments blanket COA covers any of our pilots flying for the department to operate in any G Airspace nation wide and at night. Additional waivers and emergency waivers can be granted for additional airspace areas or things like outside vlos.

So my take on the Public Safety options.

My drone now rides in the back of my cruiser every shift and I am always on call. Got to love the OT lol...

Craig

Reactions: boefinator
You lucky DOG!!! Class G Airspace makes it so easy to fly at the drop of a hat.. LOL.... I can see where you can take off and check things out daytime or nighttime whenever a need arises.. I'm stuck in COMPLETE COVERAGE of a Class D Airspace.. I am waiting on the LAANC to go live so we can fly a lot more missions. And for the COA to be completed and approved.. My city is laying down even more rules than are already posted for us to follow.. I'm unlucky enough to live in Florida where our Governor enacted the Unwarranted Surveillance Act for our state.. That comes with a bunch of crappy wording!!

Good luck, and Be Safe..

Last edited:
We are really lucky, a blanket G is pretty simple on a COA.

I am not sure why but our COA was approved in less than 24 hrs .. That has to be a FAA record !

Reactions: Southern Style
I'm writing on behalf of myself and Officer Nick Harington of he Ocean View PD in Sussex County, DE. Nick is a sworn officer and I'm retired from Baltimore City PD. We are both Part 107 certified. We currently use 2 aircraft, DJI Matrice 210 and DJI Phantom 4 Pro. The Marice 210 is owned by OCPD and I own the Phantom 4. This program is in its infancy and we are trying to learn more on how other PD and FD agencies operate and hope to exchange ideas. I'm the civilian pilot for the PD. We both have advanced training via DEMA. The 210 has Thermal Imaging, plus more. It has a drop locking mechanism. We have trained in dropping life preservers, medical bags, radios to those in need. We just went to the USCG at Indian River, which is in our respose area to train in how to assist them when needed. In the summer, this area is swamped with people, boats, lost children and adults. We see the uses as endless. The only concern we have is being notified before it's too late. The one time we were called was 45-50 minutes after the suspect excaped into the woods. By the time we arrived, he was long-gone. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Tony P.

Tony, you will find the group here a wealth of knowledge..
My program just got started as well. My PD went the COA route as thats what the Chief, Selectmen, and town Attorneys were comfortable with. The Town holds the certificate of Authorization for our pilots to work under. We have a Blanket COA for Class G airspace which we are lucky enough to be in with a night authorization included in the COA.

I have only been called out one time and I was able to respond in about 20 minutes. I carry our Inspire 1 v2.0 in my cruiser when I am on duty for a quick deployment. We are waiting on funds to purchase the Thermal camera but hope to have it by spring. I am currently the only pilot. I also respond mutual aid for our regional Recon Teams, SWAT, or any other agency in our area that needs the help. Publicity is the best. If you can make it known that these assests are available they will get used.

COA or Part 107 each have their own benefits, most go the Part 107 way and get the waivers needed as this is the easiest way. COA requires a daunting amount of paperwork, but with some help from others on this site I believe I set a record for getting an approval. It took less than 24 hrs and we were approved.

The best thing about the group is that even though there are difference of opinions its all very professional and we all realize that different ways work for different areas.

Welcome !!

Craig

[GALLERY=media, 1033]20180127_114752 by Racer38 posted Jan 27, 2018 at 1:54 PM[/GALLERY]So after lots of research and reading this is my take on the different ways to fly for Public Safety.

Part 107 Pilots
These are pilots that have a part 107 rating with the FAA. This is for an individual. This is probably the most versatile way. The pilot who is part 107 is basically flying for their department as an individual and being paid to do so. They follow all department rules and training requirements as well as all FAA rules. They can also fly for others and make some money on the side. Additional waivers can be applied for in regards to night flying and outside vlos.

Public COA Pilots
They are authorized to fly for their department and only for their department unless they also have a part 107 rating. Training is set up by the department and is usually the same level as what part 107 pilots are trained to. The actual department is a recognized entity with the FAA via approval of a Public Declaration letter. A blanket COA can be approved which covers airspace, night flying and other things. My departments blanket COA covers any of our pilots flying for the department to operate in any G Airspace nation wide and at night. Additional waivers and emergency waivers can be granted for additional airspace areas or things like outside vlos.

So my take on the Public Safety options.

My drone now rides in the back of my cruiser every shift and I am always on call. Got to love the OT lol...

Craig
Public Safety Part 107 Operators can also get emergency authorizations via the same SGI process as COA holders. For me that was the last bastion for the COA process. We currently fly night, controlled airspace (Class D) via 107 with Waivers. About 45 days on both waivers. Our COA took two weeks to get kicked back because we didn't have an Airworthiness Letter on official letterhead. Despite the fact that the FAA lacks the ability to determine airworthiness for Public Aircraft operators. At some point, I'll get around to typing up a Airworthiness Statement, but right now 107 seems, for us, to be the better choice. Quick question for you, per your COA do you have to file a NOTAM still?

Public Safety Part 107 Operators can also get emergency authorizations via the same SGI process as COA holders. For me that was the last bastion for the COA process. We currently fly night, controlled airspace (Class D) via 107 with Waivers. About 45 days on both waivers. Our COA took two weeks to get kicked back because we didn't have an Airworthiness Letter on official letterhead. Despite the fact that the FAA lacks the ability to determine airworthiness for Public Aircraft operators. At some point, I'll get around to typing up a Airworthiness Statement, but right now 107 seems, for us, to be the better choice. Quick question for you, per your COA do you have to file a NOTAM still?

Yes I still have to deal with the (D) NOTAM requirement, 24 to 72 hr requirement is unrealistic for our use. I have filed a couple for training flights, pretty painless.I just have to justify the exclusion of filing a NOTAM which is no big deal really.

I still cant wrap my head around the Public Safety flying on Part 107. The way I see it is you are 100% responsible for everything that happens as the agency you fly for is an unknown entity with the FAA, ie the Declaration letter filed so they recognize the Agency as a Public entity per 49 USC §40102(a)(41) and §40125.. I am scheduled to take my Part 107 next week, I will only use it for training flights. Those flights wont have to be included in my monthly reporting to the FAA. That could get a bit sketchy if they ever decide to check maintenance records and flight hours. I wish things were a bit clearer in regards to Public Safety. Its as clear as mud, but I am sure they will be stream lining things as time goes on.

Craig

Last edited:
I'm writing on behalf of myself and Officer Nick Harington of he Ocean View PD in Sussex County, DE. Nick is a sworn officer and I'm retired from Baltimore City PD. We are both Part 107 certified. We currently use 2 aircraft, DJI Matrice 210 and DJI Phantom 4 Pro. The Marice 210 is owned by OCPD and I own the Phantom 4. This program is in its infancy and we are trying to learn more on how other PD and FD agencies operate and hope to exchange ideas. I'm the civilian pilot for the PD. We both have advanced training via DEMA. The 210 has Thermal Imaging, plus more. It has a drop locking mechanism. We have trained in dropping life preservers, medical bags, radios to those in need. We just went to the USCG at Indian River, which is in our respose area to train in how to assist them when needed. In the summer, this area is swamped with people, boats, lost children and adults. We see the uses as endless. The only concern we have is being notified before it's too late. The one time we were called was 45-50 minutes after the suspect excaped into the woods. By the time we arrived, he was long-gone. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Tony P.

Tony,
My FD is currently in the process of getting a UAS program off the ground. I would like to chat about your progress and issues.
Is there a way I can get you my work email in a PM format so it's not out to the world?

Let me know
Brent
Henderson FD, Nevada

Yes I still have to deal with the (D) NOTAM requirement, 24 to 72 hr requirement is unrealistic for our use. I have filed a couple for training flights, pretty painless.I just have to justify the exclusion of filing a NOTAM which is no big deal really.

I still cant wrap my head around the Public Safety flying on Part 107. The way I see it is you are 100% responsible for everything that happens as the agency you fly for is an unknown entity with the FAA, ie the Declaration letter filed so they recognize the Agency as a Public entity per 49 USC §40102(a)(41) and §40125.. I am scheduled to take my Part 107 next week, I will only use it for training flights. Those flights wont have to be included in my monthly reporting to the FAA. That could get a bit sketchy if they ever decide to check maintenance records and flight hours. I wish things were a bit clearer in regards to Public Safety. Its as clear as mud, but I am sure they will be stream lining things as time goes on.

Craig
"The way I see it is you are 100% responsible for everything that happens as the agency you fly for is an unknown entity with the FAA,"

With respect, that's a word game and based on how you define responsible. For legal liability responsibility our municipality insurance carrier is on the hook for any action under color of law taken by PD personnel, as employees (vicarious liability). Pilots are all 107 certificated PD personnel, aircraft N number is assigned to the agency, operation is under agency control....Liability is rather clearly defined in any mishap.

Police officers have state issued driver's licenses, if one kills a pedestrian responding to a call, the liability is still with the officer (licensed driver) AND the municipality (the employer). I don't see the difference nor anything complicated about 107. My understanding of ability of public agencies to operate under 107 came directly from FAA Washington personnel. They told me for an agency in Class G airspace and with a night waiver, 107 is the fastest, easiest approach. If you are in controlled airspace, a COA makes more sense.

As our chief pilot, I worry about the flying and let the chief of police and our lawyers worry about the law.

I don't want anyone pondering establishing their own UAS unit walking away confused.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I too have talked to the same people you have at the FAA. Unless you have a COA and a Declaration Letter on file your Department is nobody to the FAA as stated in my previous post. Doesn't matter that the aircraft are registered to the Department or not. Your still a civilian commercial drone pilot flying for a Public Safety Department in the eyes of the FAA.

Any way enough of which way is better or easier .. What ever gets you flying.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I too have talked to the same people you have at the FAA. Unless you have a COA and a Declaration Letter on file your Department is nobody to the FAA as stated in my previous post. Doesn't matter that the aircraft are registered to the Department or not. Your still a civilian commercial drone pilot flying for a Public Safety Department in the eyes of the FAA.

So long as we give others here correct information, not personal opinions.

"Unless you have a COA and a Declaration Letter on file your Department is nobody to the FAA"
Really? Don't recall the feds telling me our department was "nobody" to them. On the contrary, they spent a lot of time on the phone with our agency to ensure we did things right (logbooks, maintenance logs, training records, etc.) ; followed by a comment to expect FAA on site inspections for public safety agencies in the future, (probably far into the future). Doesn't sound like are "nobody" to them.
That statement is your opinion, not FAA policy. The FAA's number 1 priority is safety, it's in their charter. As a certificated commercial pilot since 1976 I know that well. As long as you fly in the national airspace, you certainly are not "nobody" to them.

"Doesn't matter that the aircraft are registered to the Department or not." Wrong again, The FAA registration is a government document that clearly records the agency as the operator of the aircraft.

"Your (You're) still a civilian commercial drone pilot flying for a Public Safety Department in the eyes of the FAA. "
And you speak for the FAA...

You don't file NOTAMS for your flights or monthly Flight reports via the CAPS system so exactly how is the FAA tracking your agency? No I don't speak for the FAA but I just went through the process this month and spoke to the FAA at length about Public Agencies. Information goes stale very quickly with this new sUAS program.

How do you know we don't file NOTAMs? It is our agency policy to file NOTAMs for every operational flight, it is a good safety practice. I never said the FAA is "tracking" our agency. Read what I typed again.

I am pretty much done with you. Your right I don't know, but your not required to file them where as COA Holders are. Ok if they aren't tracking you exactly how would they come inspect you, your all just a bunch of commercial drone pilots. No different than flying for a Real Estate company or doing crop inspections.

Like I said I am all done, your right I'm wrong.

Our local FSDO is well aware of public agencies operating UAS, it's their job.
"all just a bunch of commercial drone pilots. No different than flying for a Real Estate company or doing crop inspections. "
You really have a burr on your saddle over that...FAA recognized public agencies may operate under 107. It's not up to you nor me to approve. Both have cons and pros and it is up to us to point them out to agencies asking for advise, not give biased opinions.

We are not a "bunch of commercial drone pilots" but public safety pilots licensed under 107, and operating under strict guidelines.
Your bias is showing. There's nothing magical about COAs. My gifted 14 yoa grandaughters could write one.

There still are some Gray areas for many government agencies when it comes to the FAA. We have successfully developed our program with ongoing communication with the FAA. I am the lead pilot for the Los Angeles City Fire Department and I’m stationed at Firestation 80s at LAX international airport. I am developing a work group for Government agencies to share information and help those agencies get off the ground. I am here to help so anybody that would like to become part of that work group please email me with questions and to get on the email list.

[email protected]

Tipping Points: How the L.A. Fire Department's Drone Program Could Spark Mass Adoption in Other Public Agencies - UAV Coach

Reactions: Advexure

Actually, both of our Waivers are issued to my Agency, and just like Part 61 pilots flying for law enforcement, your certificate is subject to action for violating the rules. Our excess liability policy does cover our in flight UAS operations after providing them a full description of operations, certification processes and training.

Our local FSDO is well aware of public agencies operating UAS, it's their job.
"all just a bunch of commercial drone pilots. No different than flying for a Real Estate company or doing crop inspections. "
You really have a burr on your saddle over that...FAA recognized public agencies may operate under 107. It's not up to you nor me to approve. Both have cons and pros and it is up to us to point them out to agencies asking for advise, not give biased opinions.

We are not a "bunch of commercial drone pilots" but public safety pilots licensed under 107, and operating under strict guidelines.
Your bias is showing. There's nothing magical about COAs. My gifted 14 yoa grandaughters could write one.
To add on to this, Public Safety 107 Operators do in fact get special dispensation with the FAA, SGI access and go look up Broward County's 107.41 waiver and you'll get the idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz