Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK Anybody added Mavic Pro or Air to their PfCO?

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody has successfully added either the Mavic Pro or Mavic Air to their PfCO?

With the price dropping and the quality going up these small DJI drones could be a really useful addition to my filming kit when working in remote locations. I've got an adapted backpack for my Inspire 1 but with all the batteries, remote controller, iPad etc this forms a bulky and quite heavy pack.

I'm particularly interested in Tripod Mode which unfortunately is not available for the Inspire 1.

Are there any technical reasons why these drones can't be used professionally?

Mine is included with my ops manual just sent in, not primary but tbh as an inspection too it’s a actually very handy.

Mavic Pro added and accepted by CAA last year.

I was concerned about the lack of manual ATTI mode but documented it in the Mavic Pro procedures and they were happy with it, to my pleasant surprise!

Mavic Pro added and accepted by CAA last year.

I was concerned about the lack of manual ATTI mode but documented it in the Mavic Pro procedures and they were happy with it, to my pleasant surprise!

Thank's - Yes, lack of manual ATTI mode slightly concerns me. I'm not one of the more experienced pilot who stay in ATTI all the time but it has definitely saved my bacon on a couple of occasions.

Don't forget chaps - if you are adding an aircraft to your fleet in the same weight class, there is no need to submit to the CAA mid term.
Yes, make the necessary additions in your ops manual but it does not need to be presented to the CAA until your next renewal.
Obviously you must tell your insurance company though of the addition and relevant details.

Don't forget chaps - if you are adding an aircraft to your fleet in the same weight class, there is no need to submit to the CAA mid term.
Yes, make the necessary additions in your ops manual but it does not need to be presented to the CAA until your next renewal.
Obviously you must tell your insurance company though of the addition and relevant details.

I didnt know that, thank you good sir :)

I'm just trying to confirm that it is still the case that if you add an additional drone to your fleet within the same weight class that as long as one amends the details in the Ops Manual there is no need to inform the CAA until renewal time.

I've copied the latest advice from the CAA and find the Variation paragraph difficult to comprehend however clearly it is written!

" Permissions and exemptions are issued for a fixed period of time, which can be for up to 12 months in duration. They can be extended for further periods (renewed) or amended (varied) during the validity period. When making an application, the meaning of the terms ‘renewal’ and ‘variation’ on the application form are treated as follows:

Renewal’ means an application to extend the validity of an existing Permission, Exemption or other operational authorisation, where there is no change being requested for the class of UAS being used, the operational conditions, or the terms of the current approval.

Variation’ means a request to change the conditions within an already granted Permission, Exemption or other operational authorisation (Eg. a change of, or addition to, the class of UAS being used, a change to the operational parameters that are permitted, or a change to the terms within the current approval).

A variation to a Permission or Exemption is different to a renewal and so must be applied for separately. Please note that a ‘Standard’ Permission cannot be ‘varied’ to become a ‘Non-Standard’ Permission or Exemption due to the additional workload involved; such changes must be regarded as a new ‘Non-standard’ application."

I'm just trying to confirm that it is still the case that if you add an additional drone to your fleet within the same weight class that as long as one amends the details in the Ops Manual there is no need to inform the CAA until renewal time.

I've copied the latest advice from the CAA and find the Variation paragraph difficult to comprehend however clearly it is written!

" Permissions and exemptions are issued for a fixed period of time, which can be for up to 12 months in duration. They can be extended for further periods (renewed) or amended (varied) during the validity period. When making an application, the meaning of the terms ‘renewal’ and ‘variation’ on the application form are treated as follows:

Renewal’ means an application to extend the validity of an existing Permission, Exemption or other operational authorisation, where there is no change being requested for the class of UAS being used, the operational conditions, or the terms of the current approval.

Variation’ means a request to change the conditions within an already granted Permission, Exemption or other operational authorisation (Eg. a change of, or addition to, the class of UAS being used, a change to the operational parameters that are permitted, or a change to the terms within the current approval).

A variation to a Permission or Exemption is different to a renewal and so must be applied for separately. Please note that a ‘Standard’ Permission cannot be ‘varied’ to become a ‘Non-Standard’ Permission or Exemption due to the additional workload involved; such changes must be regarded as a new ‘Non-standard’ application."
Yup - still the case.
Just add/amend you ops manual and away you go. Only resubmit to CAA at renewal.

They are talking about changes in working parameters like change of weight class, stand off distances or night operation etc which require specific permission to be granted.

Hope that helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz